October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and across the world, we wear our pink ribbons to promote the sharing of knowledge. As the manufacturer of high quality, stylish medical alert jewelry, Divoti USA (https://divotiusa.com) would like to help this cause by providing a few facts about breast cancer.
THE CURRENT STATISTICS ABOUT BREAST CANCER
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women according to the World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/e...) with a diagnosis occurring every 19 seconds somewhere in the world.1
- In the USA, one out of eight women can expect to be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- The estimated amount of women diagnosed with breast cancer in America was 231,840 in 2015.2
- Only 5% of women diagnosed with breast cancer in the United States of America are under the age of 40.
- Breast cancer is the second highest cause of death amongst females, just after lung cancer.
- One woman dies from breast cancer almost every 13 minutes in the US.
- Approximately 40,500 women diagnosed with breast cancer will perish from this condition.
- The odds of a man developing breast cancer are a thousand to one. The projected number of males diagnosed with invasive breast cancer is 2,470, with just over 2,000 surviving.
- Breast cancer survivors make up the largest figure of cancer survivors in the US. Currently, there are an estimated 3.3 million survivors!3
- Women who had breast cancer need to wear medical alert jewelry to inform the paramedics or other first responders of Lymphedema. Injury can be sustained if blood pressure, needle punctures or other medical procedures occur on the side where lymph nodes have been removed or damaged.
- Additionally, to avoid the incorrect drugs from being administered resulting in a fatality, all current treatments being received for breast cancer such as chemotherapy should be stipulated on your medical alert bracelet/necklace.
- Medical rescuers are trained to check the wrists/neck for medical ID bracelets/necklaces for critical information prior to administering treatment. This is vital in the event that you are unable to divulge the necessary information yourself in an emergency.
- The first US breast cancer awareness campaign was held in October 1985, and lasted for only a week.4
- Today, this international campaign is backed by hundreds of medical institutions, governmental agencies and other nonprofit organizations to create awareness and raise funds for research.
- There has been a significant decrease of deaths caused by breast cancer since the 1990s due to new treatments, public education, improved screening and early detection.
- 30% to 40% of deaths of women aged 40 to 70 years can be prevented through a mammogram.
- With early detection, the five-year survival rate grows to 98%!
SURVIVING BREAST CANCER
PREVENTION OF BREAST CANCER
Please share these facts about breast cancer. Remember that if you are a breast cancer survivor or are currently undergoing treatment that medical alert jewelry is vital.
Divoti USA (https://divotiusa.com) offers a comprehensive range of attractive long-lasting and 100% customizable medical ID jewelry.
When you can’t speak for yourself in an emergency, let Divoti’s medical alert bracelets/necklaces ensure that critical information is at hand when it counts the most!
1 – Do Something. (n.d.) E11 Facts About Breast Cancer. [Online] Available from: https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-b... [Accessed 29th September 2017].
2 – American Cancer Society. (n.d.) Breast Cancer Facts & Figures. [Online] Available from: https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-stati... [Accessed 29thSeptember 2017].
3 – National Breast Cancer Foundation. (n.d.) Breast Cancer Facts. [Online] Available from: http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-... [Accessed 29thSeptember 2017].
4 – Rogers, Kara. (n.d.) Breast Cancer Awareness Month. [Online] Available from: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Breast-Cancer-Awa... [Accessed 29th September 2017].